Monday, September 24, 2012

Rip van Robin

I've fallen asleep before 10 the past two nights and still needed a nap yesterday. :yawn: I can't figure out why I'm so tired until I realize that as I'm rescuing a shoe from the dog's mouth, Camille is trying to brush her teeth with diaper rash cream. Or as I'm distracted by the dog getting into the trash, Camille takes advantage and turns the bidet into her personal bathtub -- fully clothed. It's a never ending circle of dumb and dumber . . . if the dog isn't chewing on it, Camille is scribbling on it. If I didn't have Josie around to clean while I'm in charge of inmate supervision (obviously not doing a very good job of it) I would weep.

Add to that the realization the other day that we have lived in 4 different countries in less than 2 years (US/Egypt/Oman/Bahrain) and I guess it makes sense that I'd be a wee bit tired. I guess I can stop being worried that something's wrong with me and embrace the fatigue. It's not like I have a choi . . .

Ok, then. In between naps and sleep what have we been doing?


Two of the boys were playing at a friend's house over the weekend so we took the other two for ice cream.  

Really big ice creams since they were buy one, get one with coupons from our Entertainer book. (Yes, they have those here too!) 

Meelie had dark chocolate and raspberry with fresh raspberries (mama's choice) and Calvin had coffee/vanilla with cookie dough (I advised Heath Bar as a mix in, but he ignored my expertise). 

He liked it anyway.

Today Camille and I headed to the local grocery store. We saw another accident on the way -- can you see the kids bouncing around inside the car without carseats or seat belts? Thankfully, they looked to be unharmed. Right after I took this, the car started smoking/steaming -- not pretty.

Since Josh was gone over Carter's birthday, we're having a make-up birthday breakfast for dinner tonight. Pancakes, whipped cream, bacon, etc. 

She's "helping."
 

I bought peaches at the store and made some peach sauce to go on the pancakes (sugar, vanilla, cinnamon).

A little doggie massage . . .

Now two of the boys are home from school and working on homework (oh gosh, it is painful!). Then we're off to brave the traffic to pick Calvin up from basketball practice. After dinner we'll probably walk the dog and herd everyone to bed. Have to get lots of rest so I can get up and do it all over again tomorrow . . .

5 comments:

Tina said...

Right there with you about being tired all the time. Just caught the baby eating the cat food, and he's right next to me! Hang in there...that's all we can do!

Dave said...

You have it so much more difficult than we did....yeah, we had 4 children, 6 and under....but we lived in the same place, Oakland for 18+years. Had the same friends...same church...same schools, teachers...same markets, stores...visited family in So Cal several times a year. You have actually LIVED IN so many more different situations. This time just 2 years ago you were living in Carmel. Then Santa Cruz, Cairo, EVAC, back to Santa Cruz...down to OC for Wendy's wedding...off to Muscat WITHOUT your stuff, then WITH your stuff, but not your car. Then travels to Turkey, UAE, Jordan, Egypt again...etc., then Bahrain...Hotel WITHOUT your car or stuff. Then find a house...then get your STUFF...now your car finally arrives....ALL this while trying to care for, feed and educate a small army that is as exhausted as you are. Then to lose a close friend and her daughter and not be around any of the people who would understand, help you grieve, or the church where you would get comfort and care. Plus in reality, you've lost all you had in Oman.

I can only shake my head...take a deep breath...and pray for you and Josh.
That in these coming months God would restore "the joy of your salvation" and like God did for David, "renew
a steadfast Spirit" within you.

Love you and miss you....I got tired just THINKING of all you've been through in such a short time.
Feel like crawling back into bed myself... ; )

Jan Carlson said...

I hear you! I don't know how you do it and to think you used to homeschool as well. At least I get to go home at night. And yes, it is 7:45pm, dark and cool. I'm showered, in pj's and thinking about bed...because hey, I get to go do it all over again tomorrow.

You are amazing!

Robin said...

Thanks Dad. When you lay it all out there like that, my fatigue seems normal. I've always enjoyed moving, but this most recent one put me over the edge . . . maybe it's in preparation for settling down somewhere? 5 years until Josh "retires!"

Dad said...

Thinking how fast the years went by in Monterey....makes the retirement in 5 years seem not that far off.
The tunnel has a few bends in it but there is still a faint glow of light coming through....