Thursday, February 24, 2011

just add this to the long list of things I swore I’d never do . . .

IMG_4310

Yep, we got baby girl’s ears pierced. And they look really cute.

IMG_4254

After lots of convincing by three persuasive little boys, we ended up at Claire’s.

IMG_4275

Mom wasn’t so sure about this . . .

IMG_4259

but the brothers were enthusiastically picking out their sister’s earrings. They decided that she should get June birthstone ones. I have no idea what stone they are supposed to be, but they are a very pretty light purple color, so I agreed.

IMG_4264

IMG_4267

No, this is not after she got her ears pierced. The lady took the alcohol prep pad and wiped her ears with it. That’s why she’s crying.

IMG_4269

She wasn’t a fan of the drawing on the ears either until I gave her a toy to chew on. Then she was perfectly happy. I was a little wary of how clean everything would be, but the entire piercing gun is in a single use box, loaded with the earrings. The only part that is used again is the trigger mechanism that didn’t touch her ear.

IMG_4277

“Uh oh. Something strange is going on here . . .”

IMG_4280

All done! She only cried for a minute.

IMG_4283

Right after they were done I looked at them and was positive they were uneven – I even whispered to Josh, “I think they are crooked!” But he reassured me they were perfectly straight and when I took her outside and nursed her I could see he was right. What a relief.

As far as caring for them, it’s been easy. Her ears haven’t been red or painful at all, not even immediately after. I just put some cleaning solution on them every now and then and twist the earrings daily. They haven’t bothered her a bit.

5 comments:

Nana Barbara said...

Yet another adventure for the Chartiers. They're actually really cute. And everyone in Oman will know she's a girl. I think it's a kick that the boys love to dress her up like she's their little doll. What a lucky little girl!

Robin Lemke said...

Better to do it now than later when she has long hair to get stuck in them and can't remember to twist them herself. ;) Kira saw a friend do it at age 5 and the little girl panicked, so Kira's adamant she won't do it till she's 20. Whatever. ;)

G's working up to it. ;)

AG said...

Camille Cairo looks darling. I left a comment on Tues's blog but I guess I forgot to hit Post It.
I loved all the pictures and my favorite was the one of Caleb and Daisy. I just love the way you write, Robin. I so look forward to your blogs and pictures everyday. Thankss for finishing the story of your evacuation. I am
so sorry that your trip home from southern Cal. was so unpleasant. But I am so thankful that you came down. Seeing all of you was the highlight of my last 4 months. I think that was about when I saw you last. I love all of you so much.
AG

Tina said...

She is beautiful!!!! I still don't have mine pierced and wished I had gotten Olivia's pierced as a baby. Oh, well!

Amy Martin said...

love the earings! She will thank you when she's older and they are already pierced! maybe i shoudl move with you to oman, then people will know mason is actually a boy since his ears AREN'T pierced!